Monday, March 5, 2012

El Jimador Tequila

CockTale: Did you know El Jimador is the number one selling brand of tequila in Mexico? Neither did I, so when I was choosing a new tequila to try out, I figured 110 million Mexicans couldn't be wrong. I also figured that El Jimador meant something cool, like when I tried out Lunazul tequila - but boy was I wrong. El Jimadors are the people who went out and harvested the agave plants to make tequila, boring. But don't let that get you down, El Jimador was very good. In fact, I spent three nights in a row making margaritas. Best margarita recipe in the world - 1 shot tequila, 1 shot triple sec and 1 shot Rose's sweetened lime juice. Mix all three together and pour over ice. Very low in calories and only takes seconds to mix up. Trust me on this one, I write a blog about cocktails for a living.....

Review:
Taste: This is nice tequila, no nasty after taste, mixes well for margaritas and shoots alright as well with a little lime chaser. Nothing special about it other than it being a very solid tequila - "3"
Price: $19.99 for a fifth. At this price you are right in line with the upper shelf decent brands of tequila like Cuervo, but by no means is it a cheap tequila. If El Jimador was a dollar more than Cuervo, I can't say it is really worth it. The price is a couple dollars higher than Lunazul, and it definitely isn't better than that. "2.5"
Drunk: Since I spent three nights in a row with El Jimador, I would say the drunk is "satisfying". Something you can drink night after night has its appeal and I am rarely like that with tequila or margaritas. "3.5"
Novelty: After you get past the name not meaning anything and that it is the number one selling brand of tequila in Mexico, there isn't really that much that is special about the bottle or the tequila. It is just a decent bottle of tequila. "2"
Hangover Factor: This was a pleasant surprise, very little effects on the morning(s) after drinking El Jimador. When you think about it, the original El Jimadors had to wake up every morning and go out and harvest agave, so they couldn't be too hung over from their product. "4"

The CockTales & Reviews rating scale is based on 1-5, it seems that a score of 2.5 should be average, right in the middle - but that would also equate to scoring a 50% on a test. That doesn't quite seem fair? For the purposes of my ratings system, lets say a decent score is 3.0 - and that is exactly where El Jimador comes in, overall - "3"

No comments:

Post a Comment