Friday, March 2, 2012

Pearl Pomegranate Vodka

CockTale: After the unanticipated success of Pearl Cucumber Vodka, I ventured back to the liquor store in search of what else the Pearl brand had to offer. Pomegranate looked like an interesting choice, though at first I struggled with what to mix it with, I figured it would be pretty neutral and would go with anything. Unfortunately, the Pearl Pomegranate was a little underwhelming from the start....

Review:
Taste:  Just like the cucumber flavor, pomegranate tastes very fresh but there isn't a lot of flavor here - more like a hint of pomegranate. I was a little let down that there was no smell either, besides mediocre vodka smell. I mixed the pomegranate with some diet sprite and tonic. Even a straight sip of it leaves you in search of the pomegranate taste. This would be a nice vodka to add to other things as a complimentary drink if you just want a little dash of pomegranate flavor in something. This doesn't have standalone appeal to me. "2.5"
Price: $13.99 for a fifth is very decent, not a steal like it was for Pearl Cucumber, but $13.99 for any fifth is worth trying. Since I would use Pearl Pomegranate as more of a compliment, then this price warrants having it in your cabinet. "3.5"
Drunk: I'll use "mediocre" drunk as my describatory word for Pearl Pomegranate. Nothing like some cocktails, Grey's Anatomy and American Idol on a cocktail filled Thursday night. "2.5"
Hangover Factor: Like most other vodka's, not a bad morning after - it didn't prohibit me from the morning workout and that is all you can ask of a Thursday night drinking partner. "3"
Novelty: Pearl Pomegranate has the nice cork cap, I'm a sucker for that. You will probably get a "oooooh" from the ladies when they hear the word pomegranate, but other than those factors you will be a little underwhelmed once you try it out. "3"

Overall, I think Pearl Pomegranate suffers from the hype of it's cousin Pearl Cucumber, in that there was no way pomegranate had a shot to equal the success of cucumber from the beginning. I keep going back to the word underwhelmed, but if cucumber had not existed then underwhelmed wouldn't be an appropriate word. I think a quote from the movie Clueless pretty much sums up how I feel - "You can be overwhelmed and you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?" - There you go, Pearl Pomegranate Vodka makes me whelmed. Overall -  "2.9"
 

1 comment:

  1. lol you must be crazy. Pearl Pomegranate not having much smell or taste?! You are obviously not telling the truth. I just bought some and am drinking it right now. It was SOOOO good that I wanted to look it up! Then, the first review I come across, yours, says this?! You are crazy my friend, crazy. Pearl Pomegranate is freaking delicious lol.

    ReplyDelete