Monday, March 26, 2012

Mr. Boston Rum

CockTale: Mr. Boston Virgin Islands Rum came to us bootlegged from the great State of Idaho. Mr. Boston is not currently available in the State of Washington, or maybe I should say he isn't "allowed" into the State of Washington. Mr. Boston hits me as a perplexing character in our family of rums as I'm not sure how he is supposed to be portrayed. He looks like the guy on the Monopoly box, if he used all his money to go down to the Virgin Islands and buy some rum plantation. So I guess in the family of rums, he is your absurdly rich uncle who bought a plantation and now makes rum, but for some mysterious reason he isn't allowed to come visit, ever. I had the pleasure of drinking Mr. Boston rum during a lively game of dice called 10,000. I thought it was based on points, but it is actually the number of shots some people take while playing the game. I was enjoying my Pearl Cucumber vodka for the night and instead of just taking shots of that, I decided it would be a good idea to shoot Mr. Boston with diet coke chasers. I didn't exactly win the game of dice, but ended up better than the game's proprietor who ended up face down in the grass of the backyard. I don't know what happened in my life that shaped this behavior, but whenever I see someone passed out in the grass I have this inherent desire to urinate on them. Lucky for the proprietor of the game, he was too far out of my range to be urinated on off the back deck. This story comes from the archives of my story book entitled "yes, I am over 30 years old".

Review:
Taste: Mr. Boston has a very light flavor, would probably make a great rum and diet, though I don't know. Not much rum burn going down, but you can definitely tell you are sampling bottom shelf rum. "2.8"
Hangover Factor: Considering that I mixed cucumber vodka with shots of Mr. Boston, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself not hating life the next morning. Since Mr. Boston is a very light rum, I think that lessens the side effects. "3.2"
Novelty: Other than the fact that this rum was bootlegged from Idaho and Mr. Boston looks like the Monopoly guy with crazy 1800's sideburns, I can't say that it gets a lot of oohs and aaahs from the gallery but it was a novelty to see a rum I have never heard of before. "3.5"
Price: I am unable to confirm this, but rumor has it that a half gallon of Mr. Boston in Idaho is under $15. Since that price skews the entire basis of the CockTales and Reviews ratings system, unfortunately I have to register it as incomplete as it would be an off the charts 5 if I were able to rate it.
Drunk: Lets call the drunk "bad choices drunk". Mr. Boston encourages you to make bad choices, like drinking Mr. Boston for one. "2.5"

My night with Mr. Boston was memorable to say the least. Maybe the next time I am visiting Idaho I will have to do my best Dukes of Hazard impression and bootleg some of Mr. Boston's fine rum across State lines. Overall score - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment