Friday, December 30, 2011

The Kraken - Black Spiced Rum

CockTale:
I had pretty low expectations when I selected "The Kraken, black spiced rum" as my Thursday night drink selection from the liquor store. The bottle looked cool, with this underwater sea creature looking at me in the face as if to say to me, "yeah you are going to drink me and then I am going to drag your soul to the bottom of the ocean!" I don't usually like dark spiced rum, especially when it calls itself BLACK spiced rum, but this was delightful. I never mix spiced rum with coke with the exception of the Captain, but I am adding the Kraken to this list of rums that can definitley be mixed with coke. Also, the Kraken is 47% alcohol, so 94 proof - those are definitley good statistics in it's favor. I was feeling a little bit under the weather, but I pressed on and donned my drinking robe and poured myself a couple glasses of The Kraken, very enjoyable.

Review:
Taste: Very nice, almost a vanilla tone to it and mixed well with diet coke. Pretty enjoyable straight, but I don't typically drink straight spiced rum. Not a jamaican spiced rum like I would have expected, very smooth. "4"
Price: $18.90 for a fifth, little on the pricey side for me, especially for a rum. That is about what you would pay for the Captain and I am a little more partial to The Kraken, cause this sea monster would grab the Captain's woodenship and sink that bitch in no time. "3.5"
Novelty: Pretty good on the novelty side, cool looking bottle, black color and a cool name in The Kraken. Spend all night making sea monster related jokes and a good looking bottle for your liquor cabinet, not your average liquor for sure. I would give this as a gift for sure "4.5"
Hangover Factor: Spiced rums usually are a little more prone to hangovers. I find the darker the liquor the worse the hangover and this is about as black as they come. "2.5"
Drunk: Even though this is a sea monster, I found the drunk to be a nice peaceful evening on the water with a cool breeze in the air. "4"

Overall grade = "3.7", overall I found The Kraken to be very enjoyable and a good addition to my liquor cabinet, the price would prohibit me from drinking this regularly, but a good way to mix up the regular rum and coke from time to time.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, you have pointed out some excellent points, I as well believe this is a very superb website.
    Caribbean Spiced

    ReplyDelete