Saturday, February 4, 2012

New Amsterdam Gin

CockTale: First of all, allow me to apologize for a lack of a post last week. I decided to spend the weekend sober to make sure that I am not turning into an alcoholic. After taking Friday and Saturday night off, I quickly fell off the wagon Sunday and spent the week commiserating with my good friend Ron Rio. During this week with Ron Rio I decided to establish a "drinking team", this team typically consists of me, my wife and Ron. Apparently, drinking by yourself on a Tuesday night is frowned upon, but having a practice with your drinking team is totally acceptable. Now, on to New Amsterdam Gin. I don't know anything about gin, frankly I had no idea where to start when looking for a decent bottle to review. I went with this slick looking bottle because there is a cool building in the back and it didn't look like your average dry London gin. From the smell I thought it seemed very smooth, almost like it had citrus notes to it, then I read the back of the bottle "A modern American Gin, refreshingly balanced with citrus, subtle hints of juniper and sophisticated notes of angelica" I don't have a clue what Angelica is, sounds like a stripper, but I totally called the citrus part, guess I'm turning into quite an expert..........

Review:
Taste: The little bit of citrus flavor really helps when you are mixing this with gin and juice, it would also add a lot more flavor to your average gin and tonic. I liked this gin way more than your regular pine needle taste and could see New Amsterdam becoming one of my go-to gins. "4"
Price: $14.95 for a fifth, moderately priced for other mid shelf gins. The added flavor is worth the extra $2 to upgrade to New Amsterdam over your lower priced bottom shelf gins. "3"
Hangover Factor: This was a shocker to me, no ill effects this morning whatsoever, I made a serious dent in this bottle in not a large time span and woke up this morning feeling just fine. "4.5"
Drunk: Just mediocre, you can't exactly take shots of gin and drinking gin itself doesn't exactly say party time to me, it is more of a relaxing evening tying one on. "2.5"
Novelty: Cool bottle, nothing really special to it other than the citrus flavor - I couldn't exactly give this as a gift and the flavor might not appeal to your regular gin drinker. No name recognition so it isn't going to impress anyone. "2"

I'm glad I chose New Amsterdam Gin for the first gin to be reviewed on CockTales & Reviews because it was far different from other gins I have had in the past and it will be a good barometer to judge other gins in the future. Overall - "3.2"


No comments:

Post a Comment