Sunday, February 26, 2012

42 Below Vodka

CockTale: Sorry, I have been spending a lot of time lately with my good friend Ron Rio and have been sorely neglecting the adventure that is discovering new types of alcohol to add to my rotation. It was Saturday night, I had a combo birthday party/family fun night to attend and a liquor store full of possibilities. I settled on 42 Below because I wanted vodka and I didn't want to pay more than $20 for it. I didn't have anyone to impress and figured a new vodka couldn't hurt to try out. Also, when loading my cocktail briefcase this seemed to be a good compliment to the Pinnacle Cotton Candy vodka that would be in my arsenal as well for the evening. 42 Below was only notable to me because it is made in New Zealand, and of course when one thinks of vodka they think of New Zealand......

Review:
Taste: Has the bitter cheap vodka after taste, this is a 100% mixer for sure. Decent when mixed, but what vodka isn't. Sorry, low marks here "2"
Price: $19.99 for a fifth. There are so many decent vodkas out there for $13-$15, why would you ever spend the extra $5 for this? It is probably a $5 surcharge to export this from New Zealand. "1.5"
Novelty: The bottle is boring, in fact it couldn't be less boring if it tried. Nobody has ever heard of this vodka so it wouldn't spark any conversation. 42 Below doesn't move the dial. "1.5"
Hangover Factor: I did some serious damage to this bottle, woke up with minimal side effects. "4"
Drunk: In a word, "mediocre" - there were no adventures, no debauchery and it didn't even get me laid. "2"

Overall, 42 Below vodka is pretty forgettable. Next time, I'll save myself $6 and go with some good old Smirnoff. Because Russians know Vodka, people from New Zealand don't know shit. Overall - "2.2"



No comments:

Post a Comment